Thursday, March 24, 2005

Rainy day

Today its cold and rainy yet again. I know we are severely spoiled by our usually benevolent weather, but this year seems to be an exception. To put things in perspective we have had more rainfall so far this year than Seattle.

I am melancholy, reading in the news about the heartbreak of the Terry Schiavo situation. Desperate parents and family begging for her life, and no matter where you stand on the issue it tears your heart out. Would I want to live in Terri's condition? I don't think I would, but I recently read a story written by a woman who was thought to be in a persistant vegetative state and she is now back among the living, working as a writer. I have been through enough family medical related traumas to know how wrenching this whole thing is, and yes, I have had to make the terrible DNR decision as well. Removing a feeding tube seems worse, somehow, than a decision not to revive. I don't think I could ask for that. It is a great tragedy all around.

On a lighter note, I will reveal the origin of the last photos published here. Both of the most recent garden photos as well as the mystery landscape were taken during our trip last year to New Zealand. From what we saw, it was a beautiful country, even though I am told by some we missed some of the very best in scenery since we didn't make it to South Island (due to the bad weather). The timeless looking landscape was taken on a sheep farm , THE sheep farm used for the Lord of the Rings set for the hobbit village. We did the touristy thing and took a bus up to the farm and tromped around for a while listening to a tour guide tell stories about the making of the movie. I'm not at all sorry we did since we got such great photo ops for "the bucolic landscape". Seriously, we enjoyed it very much.

Creatively, I feel a bit stalled and have done nothing but organize in my room, folding fabrics and rearranging paints so that I feel I have done something useful. I am now completely past being interested in that tree thing I was working on, and none of the dozens and dozens of other unfinished projects are calling my name, either. This weekend will be full of family activity, so I may or may not get back in there, but I am resolved to start making those little cards that everyone is doing. That might be just the thing, small enough and quick enough, to get me going.

No comments: