Sunday, March 20, 2005

Work in progress

It rained off and on again yesterday, giving me the perfect opportunity to spend a good part of the day in the studio (aka the spare room I call my own). I quilted the small piece I showed you a couple of days ago and I ended up adding a dark binding to give a much needed bit of contrast. That, and it gave me the excuse to use a tiny bit of this absolutely gorgeous fabric. Then I got out the bead box. I confess to being influenced here by all the fun that beaders seem to be having, plus the sparkle they give to their work. Just having a bead box is new and fun for me, not that I need something else to start collecting and squeezing into my room. I added just a few and have in mind to do a few more in the top half to balance it out a little. I need to be careful, though, or I will completly change the mood of the piece, which I don't want to do. But just a few, just a little bit, adds some excitement.
I did get out of the house for an hour or so and popped in to a tiny quilt shop to fondle some fabric. I bought just a little and had a nice conversation with the lady working there. She bought a new longarm and is getting ready to sell her old one. Wish I had a place to put it..... someday. I also bought my first spool of Aurifil thread. I had to see what all the fuss is about. Well, it is very nice indeed and kind of melts right into the fabric as you quilt since it is so fine. If you want the effect of invisible thread without the dreadful monofiliment, this is it. I used a nice pale grey and it worked well. I did change thread for the areas where I wanted the quilting to stand out more. Unfortunately, like many other wonderful things of Italian design, it is pricey.

No comments: