Sunday, April 10, 2005

Guilty Pleasures

I'm a little behind on blogging since I had to play Wal-Mart greeter at the library yesterday for our freshman orientation and campus open house. I spent the day on my feet instead of in the conservation lab, so I am a little tired. This sounds more boring than it really was because I did enjoy talking to people and I always love to see new students. The campus had a community outreach as well with activities for kids and so on, so the place was crowded and festive with booths, outdoor music etc.

As for Guilty Pleasures...hmmm, well of course the food related things like chocolate and french fries. Also junk food for the brain in the form of TV. Now, as I just reminded you, I work at a university and we are the site for the local Public Television Station. This means I don't usually discuss my non-edifying viewing, shows like "Desperate Housewives", and that new one "Gray's Anatomy". (I used to like ER back when that was on, but I am a wimp and have to look away during surgery.) Oh, and I am a real HGTV junkie. More than once I have taken time off for myself and ended up wasting the entire day watching decorating shows when I meant to turn the TV off immediately after "Simply Quilts". Someone raised the question as to why we have "guilt" over things that give us pleasure, and I think it is a very culturally American thing. Our lives are crowded and busy with so many things to do that it seems appalling to "waste" time. Maybe we should be gentle with ourselves and realize that sometimes its OK just to rest.

3 comments:

PaMdora said...

Good point. I think I'm almost almost feeling guilty about something, and I need to give myself a break! Thanks for the suggestion.

Karoda said...

I'm a HGTV junkie too and have run late for work to watch Carol Duvall :)

Lisa said...

Hey we didn't have cable for the first 5 years we lived here, BUT I got it in January so I could watch Simply Quilts. WoW! So much inspiration! I'ts nice to know what everyone's been raving about all these years. And all the reruns are NEW to me!