Wednesday, January 18, 2006
Journal Quilt, a little early
You might remember the fun day I had painting fabric with my new Dyna-flo fabric dye paints.
It was hard to choose, but I decided my favorite was the purple, green and yellow.
I looked it over, turning it around, and decided I saw blue mountains, green fields and sunlight just beyond a mighty purple storm cloud.
I cut a piece just a little bigger, maybe an inch all around, than the required size.
I started quilting on my new machine, the first time ever that I have done this. I experimented with lots of different stitches using some of my lovely multi-colored Rainbow Superior threads.
Here is a close up of some of the stitching in progress.
I very much wanted to emphasize the sun breaking through after the terrible storm, (going in a big way for a little obvious symbolism), so I stitched the sun's rays with very big bright stitches. When I was finished stitching, I trimmed the quilt to the required size of 8 1/2" x 11". Then I finished off the edges a la Laura Wasilowski, that is with a fused binding with edges cut with a decorative edge rotary cutter.
Then I signed it. "After The Storm", Jen Anderson, 1/18/2006.
I'm happy with my little journal quilt. I did some "new to me things": painted fabric with Dyna-flo, created a whole cloth quilt (yes, this is a first, I have always pieced, appliqued or fused things), and explored some of the stitching capabilities of my new machine.