Tuesday, September 25, 2007

No WIP this week

We are having wonderful unseasonably "cool" weather. Evenings have been down in the 50s, cool enough to put extra quilts on the bed. Those living in other parts of the US to the north or east will find it funny, but to us a 75 or 80 degree high is a godsend in Sept. or Oct. This is the time of year that is normally unbearably hot, triple digits not unusual. Even though I faithfully drag out the fall decor, it doesn't usually feel like a change of season.

This morning, we struggled out of bed to get out to the lake and walk before work (so far the back is behaving, many thanks for your good wishes.) The stars were bright in a clear sky and it felt like the middle of the night. It made me think of our long ago camping vacations, tucking the children into the back seat with their pillows as we set off to get an early start. At the lake we saw the sun rise in a faintly pink sky, reflected in the glassy surface of the water. We heard the ducks and birds greet the day with all their twittering, clucking and quacking. I especially like the homey sounds the coots make when they are content.

Quilt wise, I have dozens of things to work on but two with"deadlines" attached. One is the courthouse steps I showed you earlier, and the other is a pink and green quilt for baby Emily. Evenings I have been mostly watching forgettable tv or reading, so there isn't much progress being made. Maybe next week I'll have more to show.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your journal quilt. I, too, am enjoying the cool weather. I could use a little more sunshine as I know it is going to disappear for days on end, soon enough.

Granny Fran said...

Lovely arrangement of mums and pumpkings. I'm so excited that one of my pumpkins in the garden is beginning to turn orange. I really appreciate our change of seasons. Sometimes I threaten to move to the Santa Barbara coast where I'll never have to deal with freezing winters, but I'd probably not like it after a while.

Rian said...

Don't you just love that chill in the air? That's a reel purty arrangement of punkins and mums, and I'm glad you're able to get out and about without your back bothering you.

Oh, happy day.