Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Birds

Over on Pat's Art Journal there are some fabulous pictures of Baltimore Orioles. DH and I like to watch the birds, although we are strictly amatuers. I keep a bird book handy, but it usually just ends up in a friendly debate over what we are actually looking at. We have some bright yellow and black birds a little like these, but I am pretty sure they are not the same bird.
Probably the most interesting and exotic birds we see are the parrots. Yes, parrots. I remember the first time I saw them. It was a few years back, and I was walking with a friend for exercise around the track at the local high school. The whole flock was lined up on a telephone wire. Now my distance vision isn't all it could be, so I wasn't at all sure what I was seeing until I got really close. But there they were, all bright yellow, red and green and squaking up a storm. Trust me, you do NOT want parrots to move into your yard, they are noisy and disruptive. When I told my son, he said they were frequently in the area and the teacher sometimes had to close the window because of the noise. Not long after that, I saw a newspaper article about them. There has been a lot of speculation on where they came from and how they started. Did they fly up from Mexico, escape from a pet store, fly away from a zoo ? Whatever their origin, someone counted, and the flock is up to about 300 birds. Amazing!

4 comments:

Karoda said...

I always said if I had 1000 bucks to throw away, I'd spend it on a parrot. I was always intrigued with them in the pet stores.

Lisa said...

How marvelous! Wish they'd come up my way. Just once though...

Debra said...

Ok, do you happen to live near Telegraph Hill in SF?? There is a flock of parrots there, with a book and movie about them. Someone released their pets... and the pets bred. and bred..

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! http://www.funny-adult-video-2.info Venlafaxine side effect Military leadership teen training camp http://www.men-who-wear-a-bra.info Coupon for vogue eyeglasses hair loss solutions central heating pumps