Friday, November 03, 2006

Let the pictures begin



Ok, Jane Ann, you asked for it. (Not that I really needed encouragement). Here are a few pictures. I wanted to show you the wedding gowns (yes that is plural). She actually had three of them. One traditional and two at the Chinese banquet (one red, one gold). I wish I had full length shots, but maybe someone else who was there will send me some. I think the red and gold symbolize luck, happiness, and prosperity. I found this all so interesting.

I probably should clarify that the groom and his brother are my nephews, which makes their wives my neice-in-laws? I have no idea. We are close with our extended family and have spent a lot of time together. My husband and I were married for seven years before we had any children of our own, and we used to "borrow" our neices and nephews to fill the gap. We had a lot of fun decorating our Christmas trees with homemade ornaments, baking cookies, going on outings, camping etc. The wedding couple are grown up professionals in their thirties now, but I guess they will always be "kids" to me.

The last picture shows Jeff and Jean with his uncle and his mom, Jane. You can't tell by the picture, but her dress had a beautiful swirly skirt, knee length. The flower design had an Asian feel with a subtle sparkle of silver that doesn't really show in the picture. I'll try to post other pictures that show the "mother of the groom" dress for the actual wedding. I thought Jane (Jeff's mom) looked really beautiful all weekend, although she must have been exhausted with everything that was going on.

5 comments:

DebbyMc said...

What a lovely couple, Jen. I am grateful for my 1 yr old niece...she is a stand-in for the grandchildren my kids are too unready to have for me at the moment! Thanks for sharing the pictures, I love seeing all the pretty clothes and hearing about the different traditions.

Are you happy for the cooler temps here lately? I am!!

Gerrie said...

Wow! Gorgeous couple! So glad you had a great Portland week-end.

Jane Ann said...

Ooh, thank you. More please?

My darling stepfather (now deceased) has a wonderful Vietnamese son and his gorgeous family. At our parents' wedding, the little Vietnamese granddaughters (only around 4 and 6) wore stunning red satin dresses just like Jean's. It's the color of celebration and traditional for weddings. (Those darling little girls and their brother grew up to be a urologist, an obstetrician, and a mini-exec with Guess. We're so proud of them--can you tell?. But I certainly digress. I've always said one consolation for growing older is that you get to see how the kids turn out.)

Thanks for sharing your happy occasion. What a beautiful couple.

Deb R said...

Wow, gorgeous pics of a beautiful couple.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful couple, indeed!

I hope your shoes worked for you too. Like your new blog! (Are you going to switch to beta?)