Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Why Look at Art?

Jean Arnold's "Upward Descent". See more work here, and read the artist's statment.

I am a great believer in looking at art, feeling the effects, and thinking about it. Sometimes I have to separate those two processes (too much analysis can get in the way of the experience.) I try to absorb as much as I can. Best is going somewhere and seeing work in person, but second is looking at books and online images. I try to use my imagination.

These little "excursions" into color and texture enhance our creativity. For a while we may look at light and color and shape in a different way and then bring that energy to our work, whatever it is. Art benefits everyone. If you haven't seen them, check out the whimsical guitars that Jane Ann blogged about. Don't these make you smile? Public art is a wonderful thing, even if it's temporary. Whether you are an "art quilter" or not, take the time to look at art. Feed your spirit.

6 comments:

Jane Ann said...

"... take the time to look at art."

And it's really so easy: Just follow your blog. Thanks for giving us your visual treats.

Anonymous said...

I love public art and the communities that commit to it. Our public bus system painted all of their buses several years ago, and I grin each time I see them. One is covered with butterflies, one has illustrations from William Joyce (Rolie Polie Olie), and one is covered with quilts. Some of the dozens they have, I care less for, but the it is the idea behind even the ones that are less attractive that makes the difference.

Kay said...

I also enjoy the art you post regularly. And I absolutely agree that we need to look at art as much as possible. Color and design ideas can come from art, both consciously and unconsciously. This is beside the pure pleasure.

Granny Fran said...

Thanks for introducing me to so many interesting artists. I haven't kept up all these years since I switched from studying art to public administration and I'm loving getting a little in touch again.

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya. I think it's important for artists to put other people's art in front of their peepers. I don't know why. I just do.

laura west kong said...

I love to look at art too. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pieces.